Regular Routine #1 Week

The first-week Conserving water
Before I started taking shorter showers or attempting to take shorter showers compare to what I took before. I never took notice the amount of water I was wasting and the impact I was doing to the environment. In many ways, I was ignorant and selfish because I was taking shower's longer showers for the sake of enjoyment and relaxation.
In my first week of attempting taking a 10-minute shower comparing to when I took a 25 - 30-minute shower. On a Wednesday 5, 2018 at 6:15AM, I brushed my teeth, then got ready to go in and take a shower. Before that, I turn on the faucet for a few seconds, waited for the water to get warm. After 40 seconds I went in. I rinsed my body, applied shampoo, soap myself and started to rinse my head and body at the same time. After finishing washing my body and hair, I immediately turn off the faucet. I realized that it was under 20 minutes and was proud of myself. In the end, I was successful in accomplishing my goal to shower under 20 minutes because I took a 10-minute shower for the rest of the week: 12/5 - 12/9.
How much water did I use?
According to (Homewaters) an average person waste 2.1 gallons per minute in a shower. Before I knew the habit I had for a long time was impacting the environment in a negative way by wasting approximately 52.5 - 42 gallons of water. That is about 25 - 30 minutes of showering. I realized that 52.5 gallons can be saved and use in other necessary usages. If you multiply 2.1 by 10 you will get 21 gallons. In the whole week, I wasted a total of 147 gallons.
Why is your habit/behavior good for the environment?
The only good habit I had that reduce the impact for the environment is recycling water bottles to where it belongs: the recycling bin or trash can. Every day I take a water bottle with me anywhere I got, after finishing drinking a water bottle I always recycle the water bottle. But by just doing this it wasn't enough for making a less impact on the environment. Realizing my poor habits and the impact I had on the environment made me become worried. I was worried because I know that not only myself was impacting the environment in negative ways, there are millions of American who may be doing the same exact thing I was doing. In my school, we started a project called "How do we reduce our footprints on earth? From starting this project I was able to research one of many ways in reducing my footprint. One way was to take a shorter time when showering.
- 71 percent water makes up Earth, Less than one percent is drinkable [Less than one percent is drinkable.] (H.Gleick,1993)
- 2.1 gallons per minute in a shower
- American average shower is 8.2 minutes ( wasting 17.22 gallons per day depending on how many people you have)
(Homewaters,2018) [Mentioned the source above]
- We people are wasting unnecessary amount of water. We need to be aware of the climate changing, global warming and the possible droughts in the future.
* I noticed that recycling is not enough so I decided to do something, from what I don't normally do. (Taking shorter showers)
What has prevented you from undertaking this behavior to reduce your environmental impact in the past?
Not caring has prevented me in the past from taking action into making a positive impact on the environment. I would not care at all how much water I was wasting or how I was contributing to the environment in a negative way.
What needs to change to make this behavior to reduce your environmental impact achievable for the next 30 days?
I need to be consistent and persevere to do the same thing over and over for the next 30 days. My goal is to take a shower in 10 minutes if possible reduce it to 7 minutes. I'll also keep track of how much water I am wasting, by writing down in a spreadsheet how long did will I take when showering.
Can you make that change yourself or do you need outside help?
I won't need anyone to remind me, but my electronic device to and have posted in my bedroom door and in the bathroom.
References:
https://www.home-water-works.org/indoor-use/showershttps://www.home-water-works.org/indoor-use/showers
https://www.seattle.gov/opcd/population-and-demographics
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html
References:
https://www.home-water-works.org/indoor-use/showershttps://www.home-water-works.org/indoor-use/showers
https://www.seattle.gov/opcd/population-and-demographics
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html
Comments
Post a Comment